2 egg cups
black, felt tip pen
small paint brush
horse chestnut 1
plastic top hat 1
small black sequin 1
silver metallic pipecleaner 1
red plastic French horn 1
small gold thread 1
piece 10″ black, for hanging
acrylic paint white
acrylic paint black
tinsel pom poms 2 ½” iridescent
Step by Step Instructions
1. Pour a small amount of white paint into a yogurt container.
2. Paint the walnut with a generous coat of white paint. Let dry
sitting in an eggcup. You can touch up the spots missing paint
3. Paint the chestnut with a generous coat of white paint. Let dry
sitting in an eggcup. Don’t worry if some of the paint comes off the
bottom because this part will be glued to the walnut and won’t show.
4. Wash and dry the yogurt container.
5. When both the walnut and the chestnut are dry you can glue them
together. Squeeze hot glue on the bottom of the chestnut and press
it to the top of the walnut, the larger rounded end. Hold the
chestnut briefly in place until set.
6. Now it is time to decorate the snowman. Starting at the top,
squeeze hot glue around the inner rim of the hat where the hat will
be resting on the chestnut. Hold briefly to secure.
7. Squeeze a small amount of hot glue onto the back of the star
sequin and press to the front of the black hat. The glue is hot so
don’t stick your finger over the hole in the middle of the sequin,
press it down on the sides of the sequin. With a damp paper towel,
quickly wipe up any excess glue that has squeezed out through the
hole in the middle of the sequin.
8. Cut a 3″ long piece off of the red metallic pipe cleaner. Squeeze
a line of glue around the neck area of the snowman (between the two
nuts) and wrap the pipe cleaner around the neck pressing the pipe
cleaner into the glue. Hold the pipe cleaner in place briefly until
the glue hardens. Twist the pipe cleaner near the neck to make it
look like a scarf tied around the snowman’s neck. Don’t pull the
ends too hard because you don’t want to disturb the snowman’s head.
9. Now it is time to glue on the pom poms. They need to be glued
halfway between the top and bottom of the walnut and just next to the
seams of the walnut. Press the pom poms briefly to the walnut until
they are secure.
10. Squeeze a small amount of hot glue onto each end of the French
horn, centre it over the pom poms and press the ends onto the pom
poms. Hold until secure.
11. Now it is time to paint the features on the chestnut face of the
snowman. If necessary, mark off where you will be painting the eyes,
nose and mouth by making small dots with a black, felt tip pen on top
of the white paint on the chestnut head. Make sure you leave enough
room to accommodate the dots of paint you will be adding on top of
each pen mark you made. Pour a small amount of black paint into the
yogurt container. Dip the small plastic end of the paintbrush into
the paint and blot off the end lightly on the paper towel. Press the
end onto the face below the hat to create the first eye. Lay the
snowman down flat to let the paint dry for five minutes before going
on to the next step.
12. Cut a 10″ piece of thread and tie it around the neck just above
the piece of pipe cleaner, knot it near the neck then knot the ends.
Hang it on your tree or around the house and enjoy.